Creating your first strategy
In this guide, you will create your first strategy, test it, and activate it in your practice portfolio!
Strategy creation is one of the first steps in your journey towards a data-driven portfolio. Creating strategies can be fun to experiment with new ideas and bring your trading style to life. To get started, our fantastic Community Manager, Vee, will walk you through the process of creating a strategy to give you the tools to begin building yourself!
Getting started building strategies is easy! In the video above, you can follow Vee, our helpful community manager, as she walks you through your first strategy.
Pluto strategies are the way to decide when to buy and sell a company's stock or a crypto token. A strategy uses data such as recent prices, tweets, indicators, and more to decide when to buy or sell (strategies can do lots more than buying and selling too.)
Strategies include a list of assets to buy and/or sell like BTC, ETH, or Apple, Inc.
Each decision made by a strategy starts by deciding what you want to look for (for example "the price is below $100") and then what to do when that happens ("buy 10 shares").
When you put together the "thing to looks for" and "what to do when it happens" you get a rule! Here's an example of a rule in a strategy:
A rule is a "when block" and an "action block"
Automated trading strategies are essential because they replace buying and selling on a while with your own rules. Since you build your own rules with Pluto, your strategies align better with your financial goals. Your strategies ensure your investment remains refined and focused during the day-to-day chaos of the markets.
Building and backtesting a strategy allows you to form a statistical database of strengths and weaknesses. You can then use this database to alter and improve your future strategy builds. You learn a ton and can watch your investment performance improve over time. It's a win-win!
- Strategies don't make mistakes — they will always follow your rules without emotion.
- Strategies can watch the markets and make decisions 24/7 — they don't need sleep.
- When you invest with strategies, you can keep your mind on living your life and not how your portfolio performs.
- Strategies are transparent and customizable — you know exactly when actions will be taken and why they happened after
- Strategies keep your money in your hands — reduce your risk by keeping control over your money
- Strategies when used in a Pluto Portfolio are FDIC insured
Now that you know how to build a strategy and apply it to your practice portfolio, here some suggestions on where to take your knowledge next.